Plagiarism Checking | Ft.Tul.cz
Every Bachelor, Diploma or Dissertation Thesis is automatically checked by the "Theses system" for plagiarism checking after submission to IS STAG, since the year 2018.
A. Match rate checking:
Before sending the Thesis to the opponent, the supervisor of the Bachelor or Master Thesis, as well as the supervisor of the PhD student who submits his/her Dissertation Thesis, is obliged to check whether the respective thesis shows an unacceptable match rate with other theses/works.
The procedure is as follows:
- log in to STAG,
- click on the IS/STAG tab,
- in the left menu click on "Plagiarism Checking" and set up the required parameters for searching,
- all theses are displayed in the main window and the match rate (in percentage) will appear in "Similar Documents" column – either “0” (means no match found) or any number in format “12/5” (the first digit indicates the number of documents with a certain match, the number after the slash represents the highest percentage of match). The thesis can be sent to the opponent just in case the match rate is less than 5%, or the "Assessment" column is set in the "Match Assessment" column (only the supervisor can set it - see further text).
B. Assessment of checking results:
- in the tab "Plagiarism checking" (under the list of Bachelors/Diplomas/Dissertations) there is a list of similar theses/works for each record,
- each of the potentially similar works can be viewed by clicking on the title of the thesis, or by clicking on "View details" and opening a comparison file that displays similar text in red,
- in the header of the statement “Plagiarism Checking” according to B-a) is a drop-down list of supervisor's statements (this assessment is also shown in the list of theses):
- “Unchecked” – default value, no one has evaluated similarity yet, if the match rate is above 5%, thesis with this assessment will not be allowed for the Final State Examination.
- “Checked” – the supervisor viewed the result of the check and either the similarity is less than 5%, or hereby declares that the same text is duly cited with appropriate reference to the source literature.
- “Checked - Suspicious Match” – the supervisor viewed the result of the check and found a mistake in terms of plagiarism, in which case it is NECESSARY TO INFORM THE VICE-DEAN FOR EDUCATION, who will decide on further steps (disciplinary proceedings are expected or thesis overhauled).
C. Elaboration of the supervisor's evaluation of the Bachelor's and Master's Thesis / supervisor's opinion on the Dissertation Thesis:
- The supervisor's report or the supervisor's opinion also includes a commentary containing the statement about the percentage match assessment.
- In IS/STAG system, there is necessary to choose the appropriate wording from the list, how the match rate was assessed in IS/STAG
- and IF THE SIMILARITY IS MORE THAN 5%, the supervisor will write a brief explanation of the fact into the appropriate window, explaining why the plagiarism is not the same as it is stated in the supervisor's report/opinion.
Who can see the result of the checking:
- Author (student),
- Secretary of the Department,
- Head of the Department,
- Vice-Dean of the Faculty (assigned role - IS/STAG Secretary),
- Study Programme Guarantor,
- Dean of the Faculty and Vice-Rector.
Who is authorized to assess the results:
- ONLY Supervisor of the Thesis.